Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ethan's Baptism

Last night our precious little Ethan was baptized. We were so lucky to have our dear friend, Larry Kearney, baptize Ethan. Larry is a Deacon and he and his wife Susan have been friends of the Cour family since Ryan was little. He did such a wonderful job to make the baptism a truly blessed event that we will always remember.

Before Larry began the service he told us all of a legend based in Jewish folklore....it was such a neat story that I thought I would share it with you all.

While the infant grows in the womb, an angel comes and places a lighted candle at the head of the unborn infant, so he or she can see from one end of the world to the other. So too does the angel teach the unborn child all about heaven. Then, when the time comes for the child to be born, the angel extinguishes the light in the womb and brings forth the child into the world. And the instant the child emerges, the angel lightly strikes its finger to the child’s lip, as if to say “Shh,” causing the child to forget everything learned in the womb...and thus explaining the origin of the mysterious indentation we all have on our upper lips.

The legend goes on to say that the angel watches over the child all of his days, serving as a guardian angel. And when the time comes for the child to take leave of this world, the angel leads him from this world to the next.




The blessing of the water.

Ethan is baptized....the water was cold but he did really good! No cries (yet)!


Ethan being annointed with the Sacred Chrism (perfumed oil)

"Hey Dad, I've got cologne on....now I smell like you!"

"Okay, I don't like this cologne anymore!"



Ethan with his Godmothers...Aunt Erin and Aunt Lex